Monday, June 28, 2010

PLP's for Administrators

After following a few #edchats and listening to conversation at Cardinal Stritch's Summer Institute for Doctoral students it dawned on me that we have a potential disconnect from the early adopters of technology and the educational leaders who set the culture, direction and tone of learning organizations. As a technological novice, I was struck by the tone that I heard in the two communities. The users - those with technology moxy - wrote about anti-change responses from admins that control decisions. The admins spoke and wrote about the pace of change, security, safety, costs, professional development, and related concerns. How do we merge these two worlds?

PLPs!

In our conversation with technological savvy school leaders at the Summer Institute it became obvious that those who are on the cutting edge of technology are not all digital natives. To help spread the power of this personal learning plan what if every technologically savvy leader adopted three or four colleagues from near or far and helped them establish a blog, twitter account, wiki or google docs?

I was surprised by the rhetoric by some regarding the rational some concluded to admin reluctance on technology which included: "They don't want to change." "They don't do anything anyways." and other tough comments. My experience runs contrary to those conclusions. The folks I work, collaborate, and network with all are willing to try if they have the right support and understanding of the rewards.

So - go out and and pay it forward! Find a receptive colleague and welcome them to the power of social media for professional development!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you!

    I've adopted my whole study group to spread the "technology love." In particular, I'm working with one person who's personally reached out to me to be his "technology ambassador." It's so much more rewarding to watch someone understand how technology can enrich their lives than to sit around complaining about how other people just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete